HubSpot is excited to announce today that it is partnering with Rough Draft Ventures (RDV), General Catalyst’s student-focused program that backs founders at the university level, to run its first-ever summer accelerator. Over the course of 12 weeks, 4-5 student-led startup teams focused on selling to SMBs will build out their businesses in office space hosted at HubSpot’s Cambridge headquarters, with weekly sessions from HubSpot and RDV mentors and partners as well as access to RDV’s starter kit and the HubSpot for Startups program.
The partnership between HubSpot and Rough Draft Ventures will focus on supporting the local startup ecosystem and giving back to student entrepreneurs. Given that HubSpot is a leader in SMB software, and RDV aims to nurture that next generation of entrepreneurs, the sweet spot for a collaboration naturally led to putting together a program that would help student-led startups with an SMB focus build and launch in an accelerator model.
"Our collaboration with Rough Draft Ventures is another example of how we are continuing to innovate to better serve the needs of growing businesses,” said Andrew Lindsay, HubSpot’s VP of Corporate Development and Business Development. “By supporting these high-potential student-led ventures with HubSpot's resources and capabilities, we are further expanding our ecosystem of startups to increase our impact."
The Summer Accelerator at HubSpot will provide office space and startup resources to help 4-5 student-led teams focused on selling to SMBs build out their businesses from June through August 2018. Founders will meet with the RDV and HubSpot teams weekly, as well as spend dedicated time with RDV and HubSpot mentors.
At the end of the summer, teams will have a chance to pitch RDV for $25K in backing and HubSpot for $25K in backing at a final demo day.
As a part of the program, RDV and HubSpot will provide:
- Office space for 4-5 teams (20 people total) at HubSpot’s Cambridge, MA headquarters
- 2-hour weekly sessions with HubSpot and RDV mentors and partners
- Access to RDV’s starter kit with over 30 resource providers and discounts (worth up to $100K)
- Access to the HubSpot for Startups package (Education, Support, and 90% off HubSpot software)
Program timeline and eligibility:
- The program will run June through August 2018
- In early September, teams will have the opportunity to pitch RDV for $25k in backing and HubSpot for $25K in backing through a demo day
- Target market must include small-and-medium-sized businesses
- Teams may be of any size, but HubSpot will host up to four employees from each team
- At least one team member must be a student (undergraduate or graduate) who will have either graduated in spring 2018 or will be going back to school in fall 2018
“Startups may be small companies but they can play a significant role in economic growth. They create more jobs which means more employment, and more employment means an improved economy,” Kim Walsh, Global VP of HubSpot for Startups, added. “Not only that, startups can also contribute to economic dynamism by spurring innovation and injecting competition. New entrepreneurs can bring new ideas to the table, which are much needed to stir innovation and generate competition.”
Student-led startups wishing to apply must do so by 11:59 PM ET on April 13, 2018 here.